JOB SUMMARY: The Research Assistant I provides, under direct supervision, support for specified research projects; collect, assess, and communicate data/results. Assist in general laboratory operation and inventory.
Your child's nervous system is undergoing a wondrous surge of growth and connections. When something goes wrong, we know families want answers.
At Children's Hospital, your family works together with some of the nation's leading experts in diagnosing and treating disorders of the brain, spinal cord, muscles and nerves. Your family also has access to leading-edge research that only one of the top pediatric hospitals in the nation can provide.
Call (615) 936-5536 for appointments, referrals and consultations.
Why Choose Neurology Care at Children's Hospital
U.S. News & World Report has ranked Children's Hospital as one of the nation's top providers of pediatric neurology care.
We offer specialty clinics for conditions including epilepsy, pediatric stroke, neuromuscular and neurovascular conditions, alternating hemiplegia and new-onset seizures.
The support services we provide your family include child life experts to help your child through the healthcare process.
Our doctors and surgeons are at the forefront of pediatric research and education. Our nationally recognized researchers are committed to finding new ways to better understand, treat and ultimately prevent childhood diseases and maximize child health. You can be part of this process as well.
* Day Shift/ Non-Exempt Position
Click here to view how Vanderbilt Health employees celebrate the difference they make every day:
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity -- of culture, thinking, learning and leading -- is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
VUMC Recent Accomplishments
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
* US News & World Report: #1 Adult Hospital in Tennessee and metropolitan Nashville, named to the Best Hospitals Honor Roll of the top 20 adult hospitals, 10 nationally ranked adult specialty programs, with 3 specialties rated in the top 10 nationally, Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt named as one of the Best Children's Hospital in the nation, with 10 out of 10 pediatric specialties nationally ranked.
* Healthcare's Most Wired: Among the nation's 100 "most-wired" hospitals and health systems for its efforts in innovative medical technology.
* Becker's Hospital Review: named as one of the "100 Great Hospitals in America", in the roster of 100 Hospitals and Health Systems with Great Oncology Programs and to its list of the 100 Hospitals with Great Heart Programs.
* The Leapfrog Group: One of only 10 children's hospitals in the to be named at Leapfrog Top Hospital.
* American Association for the Advancement of Science: The School of Medicine has 112 elected fellows
* Magnet Recognition Program: Received our third consecutive Magnet designations.
* National Academy of Medicine: 22 members, elected by their peers in recognition of outstanding achievement
* Human Rights Campaign Healthcare Equality Index: 6 th year in a row that Vanderbilt University Medical Center was a Leader in LGBTQ Healthcare Equality.
Additional Key Elements/ Responsibilities:
Under supervision, run experiments, assays, and record results
Read and follow experimental protocols (May include animal handling, tissue culture, etc.)
Compile and communicate results to supervisor
Follow University safety protocols (may include use of combustibles, radioactivity, toxic material, and/or carcinogenics)
Perform calculations involving molarity, % solutions, and serial dilutions
Prepare and operate equipment in experimental procedures
May include blood gas analyzer, centrifuge, pH meter, spectrophotometer, autoclave, scintillation counter, electrophoresis unit, analytical balance, etc.
Maintain and repair equipment according to manufacturer and university guidelines.
Ensure Laboratory is prepared for experiments
Maintain sterile conditions as required
* Bachelors Degree (or equivalent experience) and <1 years experience required.
Internal Number: 2005925
About Vanderbilt Health
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period.Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As th...e largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.