Location: Wilmington, Delaware
The Neurology Specialty Nurse is responsible for an area of specialized nursing practice and will be responsible for phone triage, scheduling questions, insurance authorization, letters, relaying imaging findings after discussing with providers, and responding to Nemours portal messages. The Neurology Specialty Nurse will additionally participate in patient and family education regarding common Neurology diagnoses. The specialty nurse will utilize the nursing process as a basis for providing and evaluating nursing care. Candidates should have excellent time management skills, be a proactive worker, work well in a team environment, and possess the desire to engage in neurology patient care.
- Performs ongoing assessment and evaluation of patient progress and revision of interdisciplinary plan of care related to patient needs.
- Identifies patient/family need for further resources and initiates appropriate teaching and/or referrals.
- Participates in responding to patient phone calls. Explains treatment regimens to patient/family after having discussed with the physician.
- Demonstrates ability to share clinical knowledge with other members of the health care team; works collaboratively with Nursing Education Department to share subspecialty knowledge with nursing staff.
- Acts as a liaison between families and members of the health care team.
- Utilizes specialized body of knowledge and technical skills in nursing practice related to subspecialty in accordance with the Nurse Practice Act, hospital policy and protocol.
- Participates in the development of standards of care for the specialty patient population.
- Demonstrates proficiency in the care of all ages; neonates, pediatrics, adolescents and adults.
- Recognizes and identifies own learning needs and responsibility for continual development; strives to increase knowledge and identifies goals for professional growth.
- Responsible for participation in departmental and hospital programs for Quality/Process Assessment and Improvement, identifying opportunities to improve services, making recommendations, and implementing actions as appropriate and consistent with the goals of the Nemours Foundation.
- BSN required
- Three years of related clinical experience preferred
- Active Delaware RN license
- Pediatric nursing experience required.
- Prior neurology nursing experience preferred