Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Paralegal - Healthcare Operations and Litigation Support (VUMC Office of Legal Affairs) - HYBRID -2216650
: Professional and Managerial
: TN-Nashville-3322 West End Avenue
: OLA (Paralegals) 108265
Shift: First Shift
Paralegal - Healthcare Operations and Litigation Support (VUMC Office of Legal Affairs) - HYBRID
As a contributing member of the team in VUMC's Office of Legal Affairs (OLA), assists multiple attorneys with management of healthcare operations, including litigation matters.
- Coordinate and support fact gathering efforts from a variety of sources related to hospital and healthcare system operations and litigation matters handled by the Office of Legal Affairs.
- Manage third party requests for information, subpoenas, and other information.
- Oversee and organize discovery processes
- Provide attorney support for preservation and evidentiary hold processes and e-discovery,
- Manage, coordinate and assist in preparation of witnesses for hearings, depositions, witness interviews, trials, and other tasks related to legal proceedings and administrative processes.
- Interact with external parties, including government agencies, witnesses, outside counsel, consultants, court personnel, opposing parties, and other third parties.
- Act as project manager for complex legal projects.
- Organize and maintain legal files.
- Utilize and support litigation support systems, software, and contract management systems.
- Draft legal documents and reports.
- Conduct legal research, analyze documents and materials, and summarize for attorney review.
- Assist with matter resolution documents.
- Assist with general healthcare-related matters as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATION INFORMATION
- Graduate of an accredited college or university and five (5) years of litigation -related experience or the equivalent.
- Paralegal certification from an ABA-approved program or a Bachelor's degree in
paralegal or legal studies.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and writing skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (including Word, Excel, OneDrive, PowerPoint), Adobe, case management, document management, and claim and litigation management systems.
- Understanding of legal/court system and rules of procedure.
- Ability to generally review subpoenas, warrants, court orders etc., for validity and compliance with rules of procedure and jurisdictional requirements.
- Experience in interacting with outside legal firms and agencies.
- Ability to function independently and collaboratively with a team.
- Demonstrated experience preparing for, and supporting litigation, depositions, hearings, trials, and other legal processes.
- Experience with release of medical information processes/requirements and HIPAA requirements. In lieu of experience, will learn and demonstrate knowledge and competency in these areas.
Graduate of an approved discipline specific program (or equivalent experience) and 5 years experience
Licensure, Certification, and/or Registration (LCR):
- Certified Paralegal Required
Physical Requirements/Strengths needed & Physical Demands:
- Occasional: Sitting: Remaining in seated position
- Occasional: Standing: Remaining on one's feet without moving.
- Occasional: Walking: Moving about on foot.
- Occasional: Lifting under 35 lbs: Raising and lowering objects under 35 lbs from one level to another
- Occasional: Push/Pull: Exerting force to move objects away from or toward.
- Occasional: Bending/Stooping: Trunk bending downward and forward by bending spine at waist requiring full use of lower extremities and back muscles
- Occasional: Reaching below shoulders: Extending arms in any direction below shoulders.
- Occasional: Handling: Seizing, holding, grasping, turning or otherwise working with hand or hands.
- Occasional: Vision: Clarity of near vision at 20 inches or less and far vision at 20 feet or more with depth perception, peripheral vision, color vision.
- Frequent: Noise: May include exposure to occupational noise levels which equal or exceed an 8-hr time-weighted average of 85 decibels, requiring enrollment in VUMC's Hearing Conservation Program which includes training, use of hearing protection, and periodic audiometry.
- Continuous: Communication: Expressing or exchanging written/verbal/electronic information.