JOB SUMMARY:JOB SUMMARY:
This individual will perform animal studies as well as Ussing chamber investigations under the supervision of Dr. Izumi Kaji and under moderate supervision, set up, conduct experiments, and continue research projects following protocols including the appropriate recording of data and reporting of standard or variant results. Assist in other laboratory and research functions.
Vanderbilt's Section of Surgical Sciences combines many of our surgical departments at Vanderbilt into one framework with the commitment to providing the best in patient care. Our specialty teams of surgeons and researchers work closely with one another to discover and reveal the latest medical and surgical innovations, while teaching our residents the many facets of surgery. This collaboration of disciplines allows us to provide an array of conventional and unique surgical services to the entire mid-south region resulting in outstanding patient outcomes.
Day Shift/ Non-Exempt Position
Click here to view how Vanderbilt Health employees celebrate the difference they make every day:
Click Here To View The VUMC Promise of Discovery
Discover Vanderbilt University Medical Center:
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity -- of culture, thinking, learning and leading -- is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
VUMC Recent Accomplishments
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
* US News & World Report: #1 Adult Hospital in Tennessee and metropolitan Nashville, named to the Best Hospitals Honor Roll of the top 20 adult hospitals, 10 nationally ranked adult specialty programs, with 3 specialties rated in the top 10 nationally, Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt named as one of the Best Children's Hospital in the nation, with 10 out of 10 pediatric specialties nationally ranked.
* Healthcare's Most Wired: Among the nation's 100 "most-wired" hospitals and health systems for its efforts in innovative medical technology.
* Becker's Hospital Review: named as one of the "100 Great Hospitals in America", in the roster of 100 Hospitals and Health Systems with Great Oncology Programs and to its list of the 100 Hospitals with Great Heart Programs.
* The Leapfrog Group: One of only 10 children's hospitals in the to be named at Leapfrog Top Hospital.
* American Association for the Advancement of Science: The School of Medicine has 112 elected fellows
* Magnet Recognition Program: Received our third consecutive Magnet designations.
* National Academy of Medicine: 22 members, elected by their peers in recognition of outstanding achievement
* Human Rights Campaign Healthcare Equality Index: 6th year in a row that Vanderbilt University Medical Center was a Leader in LGBTQ Healthcare Equality.
- Under moderate supervision, conduct and evaluate experiments and assays
- Understand and follow experimental protocols (may include animal handling, tissue culture, etc.)
- Record, compile, interpret, and communicate data/results
- Follow University safety protocols (may include use of combustibles, radioactivity, toxic material, and/or carcinogens)
- Perform calculations involving molarity, % solutions, and serial dilutions
- Prepare, operate and troubleshoot equipment in experimental procedures
- Read and follow all equipment manuals
- Maintain and repair equipment according to manufacturer and University guidelines
- Ensure Laboratory is prepared for experiments
- Maintain inventories
- Maintain sterile conditions as required
- Prepare reagents
- Demonstrate an understanding of acceptable procedures and techniques
- Recognize problems and suggest solutions
- Assist in modifications as directed
- Provide appropriate written documentation of experiments
- Prepare preliminary research progress reports
- Summarize test results appropriately
* Bachelor's Degree (or equivalent experience) and 2 years experience required.